GPS trackers usage is becoming increasingly common among people who want to protect their valuables. From automobile tracking to fleet management and tracking children and pets, its functionality is huge. But how accurate is GPS tracking? To answer this question, we have to look at what GPS trackers are and what decides their accuracy and precision.
Electric powered devices called trackers use a global positioning system (GPS) to receive signals from multiple satellites revolving around the Earth. The method of triangulation calculates multiple signals to understand and track the exact location of an object or person.
GPS Trackers Accuracy Explained
As we have said to track exact location a method of triangulation is used from signals received, so what is this method?
While orbiting the earth, satellites broadcast their own location and timestamp, when at least three satellites are in line of sight of the object that is tracked, a GPS receiver receives signals and calculates the The receiver calculates the distance between itself and the satellite and then sends the information to a monitoring device.
Since precision is of utmost importance and cannot be compromised in GPS tracking, the method of triangulation with zero margin of error ensures the accuracy of the data received from multiple satellites. Calculating data through triangulation methods ensures a high level of accuracy in any device.
What Factors Influence GPS Tracker Accuracy
The real use of GPS tracking equipment lies in its ability to provide real-time location mapping, which enables the user to keep track of the movement of objects without any delay or inaccuracy as it can lead to errors safety. Let us look at factors that influence GPS tracker accuracy.
1. We calculate the precise location of an object by receiving signals from satellites orbiting the Earth. To achieve correct accuracy, we take signals from at least three satellites. So strong signal strength should be there. If there are large number of satellites, accuracy of position will be greater.
2. Signal blockage and atmospheric conditions such as large buildings, trees, heavy clouds, or storms can sometimes cause jamming in the quality of signals. However, the latest developments in technology and devices enable us to overcome these challenges
3. Receiver Quality: The quality and sensitivity of the GPS tracker is important because it is a device that accurately interprets satellite signals. So buy good quality receivers with high signal processing capability.
4. User Location: The user’s position on Earth and its proximity to satellite signals can also influence accuracy.
5. Interference from other devices: At times interference from other electronic devices or radio wave frequency can totally disrupt the GPS signals and its accuracy.
How To Enhance GPS Tracker Accuracy
As we have seen, GPS tracking devices rely heavily on precision and reliability for their effectiveness. Following points will help you know your tracker accuracy.
1.GPS Tracker Device: A Good GPS tracker device needs to be there to receive GPS signals coming from satellites. The device coordinates are then calculated by the tracker using the signals received. These trackers also need a power source to charge the battery . Make sure the battery has good backup time, for continuous operation.
2. Cellular Network: PAJ GPS Tracker uses cellular network and cellular networks are the best method to transmit data of the location to monitoring service without any delay. Always opt for devices that use sim cards.
3.Differential GPS (DGPS): To enhance GPS Accuracy, a correction technique called DGPS is used. In this additional ground-based reference stations are used to enhance GPS accuracy. DGPS can significantly improve accuracy in certain applications.
4. Monitoring System: Any backend infrastructure may be mobile or computer that receives the location data from the tracker. For GPS tracking in mobile, you can use a mobile app, while for computer-based GPS tracking, you can utilize software to view and interact with the GPS Tracking System.
5. Update Firmware and Software: Make sure your GPS tracker’s firmware and software are up to date. Manufacturers often release updates to improve performance and accuracy.
These software or apps can be helpful to store data and also helps in managing and analyzing the tracked data.
Make sure that your monitoring system is reliable and functionable and also regularly review accuracy of your GPS trackers.